Friday, May 02, 2008

essay - TOEFL9

Question:
Some people prefer to live in a small town. Others prefer to live in a big city. Which place would you prefer to live in? Use specific reasons and details to support your answer.

Answer:
I definitely prefer to live in a small town despite the disadvantages like the inconvenience to commute or the lack of fancy departments. The main reasons for that lie in the following factors: quietness, good relationship with local people, and the reasonable costs to live.

First of all, I don't like hustle and bustle of a big city. There are a lot of cars and people generating noisy sound disturbing my private life. Since I'd like to read a book and think of various matters in a quiet environment, I'd like to live in a small town definitely more peaceful than a big city.

Second, I think that smaller the town to live is, deeper the relationship with the local residents is. Whereas deep communication in a big city tends to be rare, it's relatively easy to communicate with the residents in a small town. It's because people can get familiar with each other thanks to the small amount of population.

Third, I'm convinced that required costs to live in a small town is much more reasonable than do in a big city. For instance, house rent dramatically goes down as the size of city goes down. Moreover, food costs are reasonable while the ones of a big city are sometimes unbelievable.

To sum up, I surely choose to live in a small town rather than living in a big city, although there are some disadvantages. Especially quietness is critically important to me when choosing the place to live.

No comments: