Saturday, August 16, 2008

India - Summary 6: India and English


(A shot of the Bangalore City Station)

Almost all Indian people can speak English as a native speaker. No. This may be a little exaggerated. Technically speaking, especially educated people can do that. This means that non-educated people, who don't go to school, don't speak English, only speak their native language. And educated people can do that because they use English in daily life and take classes at school in English for all subjects like math, science, and literature.

Therefore, at the training session I joined, I struggled to catch up with them speaking English. They speak fast with a little bit different accents. Anyway, this aspect contributes to the strength of India in the IT industry in terms of the fact that they can communicate with US and UK people at a level of a native speaker.

By the way, as I mentioned on my Japanese blog, what I need to do right now the most is to hone my English ability. At least, I need to be able to discuss, make a speech, and have a debate with native speakers. Since I work for an Indian company, not only do I have minimal English language skills, but also I should excel in the communication area. Since I'm here, I'll go.

No comments: