Wednesday, September 26, 2007

trans - Electronic Dictionary: Ultimate Item



There is no doubt that this is the best. Electronic dictionary. Without this, I cannot study English Without this, human beings has not been able to stock up its knowledge up to now. Electronicity is not necessary, but electronic one is better than other ones definitely. I'm saying the details below.

- Don't hesitate to invest. Extravagance is nonsense, but you should buy the one as good as possible. You would spend very long time with it.
- English-Japanese, Japanese-English, English, Thesaurus, Collocations, and so on. You should take advantage of these various dictionaries. These five dictionaries are especially used well, so learn how to jump to each other surely.
- You will use the Thesaurus and Collocations very well in the near future, so choose the electronic dictionary including these. I thought an antonym dictionary might be desirable for me.
- Oxford for the English dictionary. English-Japanese for Genius. You should choose well-known, acknowledged dictionaries. I think there must be a difference.
- As the stage of learning, the dictionary you use will be different. Having an inquiring mind, try many things.


In case of me, I'm now using my dictionary as the following ways. Since I'm now practicing translation from Japanese to English using TOEIC materials, after translating the question and checking the answer, I make sure to check the phrases that I couldn't translate well, the expressions that I'd like to check, and excellent idioms in the answer, mainly using the English-Japanese dictionary (Genius). (That's why the dictionary has a lot of explanation of grammar, and It's useful by just reading.)

At this time, there are barely unknown words, and I check the grammar, the pattern of the connection with prepositions, and example sentences and idioms. This really works, so this makes my vocabulary fruitful using my brain's network effect.

By the material, how to use the dictionary also varys. For instance, when reading an English newspaper, I mainly use the English dictionary (Oxford Dictionary of English) to check unknown words and to check the pronunciation. I don't look over them deeply, and it's not needed.

Moreover, when traveling abroad or killing my time, I used to use the English Conversation Dictionary well. That was very useful especially when I check how to call someone and how to hang up the phone. (In case of that, I'm usually not in front of the PC.) Well, the Japanese ability is highly developed, but sometimes I used the Japanese Dictionary (Kojien) to check the meaning of Japanese words.


Well, I cannot give up my electronic dictionary at least in a couple of years.

No comments: